GearHeads Corner
November 19, 2019, 10:19:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: My 3d Printer build  (Read 20346 times)
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:40 PM »

Well, some progress. Here's a video of the UV scanner myself and Bob cobbled together. Standard samsung printer
with all the guts removed and a few alteratio ns. Hope to get a scanning mechanism built for it next.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cETOvlOzZ1Y

Art
bosr

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2012, 09:24:30 AM »

Impressiv e.  Thanks for the update.
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2012, 02:22:16 PM »

Check out the phlatforu m guy's version, too.  I supported them for a buck to get my foot in the door, way to little time to actually try some.  They have an add-on to standard extrusion rather than an extrusion with guides.  Hopefully they won't be overwhelm ed like Bart was with makerslid e, although it looks like Inventabl es will solve that problem at double the original price.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/openrail/openrail-open-source-linear-bearing-system

Kirk
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2012, 03:43:26 PM »

Kirk:

Yes, its amazing the things are coming available . Crowdsour cing looks like a great way to get an invention going.
Lots of stuff for hobbiests to do these days.. Smiley

Art
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »

If you need some smaller ie miciature extruded rails with trucks see http://www.microrax.com/Motion-c5/

Dan
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2012, 09:43:47 AM »

Any news on your 3d printer?
Dan
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2012, 01:33:46 PM »

Dan:

Well, as you can see from the latest video. I have a UV laser scanner built, but before mechanisi ng it so it swings across a
glass plate , I tried a few other experimen ts with the resins I intend to use. They seemed to work great, but I see they seem to
work better with UV LED's.. so.. now Im waiting for a 7" LCD monitor and some 30 candlepow er UV LED's I ordered in to see
if I can modifiy a small video monitor to give off the image in UV.. I like this idea because if it works it can be done with no mechanics
at all for the image. I suppose in the end I coulda just gotten a projector like you see others doing, but to me the whole project
has been about learnign the various ways to do it before settling on the cheapest and best working. If the monitor works it
means an entire printer could be done for about 200$ or so. Ive taken apart a few LCD monitors and it seem it shoudl work if
I just remove the lamps and put in some UV bright leds'. The LCD "should" allow enough attenuati on of the light when off
so that on segments only will harden the resin. Ive gotten my resin down to where about 20 seconds of UV hardens a small pot
of it, and I can draw a letter in the resin and pick it up after a minute or so. The resin is about 15$ a litre or so to make, much
better than the $800.00 a litre Ive been seeing elsewhere . A litre woudl make a whole lot of stuff.

So I shoudl have my monitor in a couple weeks and Ill post how that conversio n comes out. I must say it has been fun playing
wih all the technolog ies to see how they work. Ive gone from Inkjet to Laser printer now to UV video monitor.. but its all a great
learning experienc e. In the end I hope to just have the cheapest way of doing it all. (not that Im that cheap..bu t I figure
if its cheap enough everyone will try to build one Smiley )

Art
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2012, 09:28:17 AM »

I have been thinking about getting a chinese 80W laser cutter but you mentioned a few few weeks ago that your chinese 60 watt laser may not be producing as much power as it should. That sort of scares me. How many hours did you run it before noticeing the degradati on of the laser?

dan mauch
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2012, 09:57:59 AM »

Dan:

To be honest, Im not sure, I didnt trakc it. But it was allot. Trouble is , your never really sure what causes such a loss, or even if it really exists. I should have done some Quality checks on startup and marked them down so Id know instead of suspect. The price dif or chinese vs others makes it a no brainer to go chinese though, the longer the tube the higher the power, so you at least know your getting the right wattage. ( unless its a weak tube, and I suspect thats a it rarer than often... I changed lenses to a long focus as w3ell which may be why, and I also found my mirrors had moved quite a bit.. seems to cut better now..

Art
Khalid

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

Art, why not going for Projector instead of UV led/laser etc. See B9Creator its simple. You are right though the resin is much costly.
I am planning for making 3d printer with extruder head. They are cheap and now produce more quality work.
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »

Hi Kahlid:

>>Art, why not going for Projector instead of UV led/laser etc. See B9Creator its simple. You are right though the resin is much costly.

The resin isnt expensive really, a can of oleatic acid which turns fibreglas s resin to UV resin is about 30 dollars for enough to make 10 gallons of resin . So its about $15.00 a litre to make it including the esther resin cost.
 But, after playing with it quite a bit I decided I prefer the extruder,,resin smells terrible. The projector seems the expensive route at the time Huh...

Art
Khalid

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2013, 10:21:31 AM »

Art Thanks for telling the secret. I dont know why then these guys selling a small bottle of UV curable resin that costly. As far as extrusion based 3d printer filament is concerned you can now make your own extruder. The filament that you currently paying for 30dollar, you can yourself make not more than 10us dollar. I think LYMAN filament extruder's  videos you have seen on youtube, its open source.
By the way thanks for taking time and replying. I really a big fan of you.
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2013, 02:06:01 PM »

Art, how much oleatic acid per liter of polyester resin?

Khalid, welcome to the forum!  Are you the Khalid with the laminar flow fountain on cnczone?

Kirk
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2013, 06:53:23 PM »

Kirk:

The stuff I used is called SunCure, its fabulous stuff, (its really just Dimenoxyb enzoyl acid) one bottle makes 10 gallons of resin, costs about 15$ for the bottle as I recall. A small UV laser diode can cure it in a minute or less, a 1 watt diode cures it in seconds.. you can buy it from surfboard makers online.)

Works on fibreglas s resin as well as polyvinyl resin. Some sell the mixed resin for over  hundred a litre, but this stuff seems to work as well as the expensive stuff at abotu 10-15$ a litre mixed..(or less).

I find I dont use much filiment, but I have seen the extruders and I think their probably great if you use alot of filament.

Thanks for the comments khalid, I really dont like secrets in any of this stuff, and if I can help anyone understan d something dark, it makes my day. Smiley

Art
Khalid

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2013, 12:04:48 AM »

Khalid, welcome to the forum!  Are you the Khalid with the laminar flow fountain on cnczone?
Kirk
Yes, the same Khalid.

@Art;
I hope you have watched this DIY filament extruder youtube video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JebhbxgjBgA&hd=1

I think using Projector is the best/fastest way for UV curable Resin based printer.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 12:08:10 AM by Khalid » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: