GearHeads Corner
November 19, 2019, 10:22:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: My 3d Printer build  (Read 20349 times)
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:02:31 AM »

Hi All:

This forum will try to document my ( and Bob's) 3d printer project. We'll be using GM's gears, a robot assembly,
and various things to experimen t in the rather interesti ng world of 3d printing.

Being the software guy, Ill be concentra ting on the control end, while together , Bob and myself will build the thing. Bobs great at implement ation.. He build up the controlle r Ill post photos of, Ive had the robot laying about for years from Ebay about 5 years back.. we finally thought of a use.. Smiley

Suggestio ns are more than welcome.. arguments as well. ( Me and Bob argue all the time about the mechanics of it all..)

More to follow

Art
\
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:19:11 AM by ArtF » Logged
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:16:05 AM »

A few Photos of what we have so  far..

Ive had this robotic arm for quite a while. We had to install 1/4HP servos in it as it had AC servos origninal ly with no controlle rs.
Bob did a great job building up the elctronic s box from variosu spare parts I had laying about.. SO next we're on to making a large
base to bolt it to for safety in tipping.. ITs speed is about 600IPM ( max speed at 65Khz.. could go faster..).

I intend to hand a printer on the X carriage,.. and a thermal head.. ( and anythign else that may prove usefull . Smiley

Ill use a pokeys or two, an Inket if possible, a thermal head we built and perhaps some different extruder if we come up with
one. Ill post videos and phots as we go on this thread. Shoudl be interesti ng..

Anyway, there's a lot of Brain power around here, so feel free to kick in if you have idea's or just want to give your thoughts
onn any apect of 3d printing. .

Art

* robot 001.jpg (650.34 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 521 times.)

* robot 002.jpg (564.73 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 529 times.)

* robot 003.jpg (604.94 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 554 times.)
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 10:13:47 AM »

Here is a picture of a commercia l extruder ABS drive mechanism . They claim .005" precision .
stephenmtate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »

Please take some extra time to search potential materials .  Some shrink as they cool and this creates problems.  I would love to see something that could be used to create masters for lost wax (or other media) casting. 
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »

stephenmt ate;

I've read about of thjis plastic shrinking phenomena also.. I'm sure we will be faced with many issues before it's all done...lo l  I also heard that liquefied wax could work in a jet cartridge, just need to be cooled rather quickly to hold shape..If technolog y could be tweaked and refined properly, perhaps wax molds could be made quite easily at that point. As to Art's point "Suggestio ns are more than welcome.. arguments as well. ( Me and Bob argue all the time about the mechanics of it all..)" I would not want to have it any other way, it's called construct ive arguing, so much to learn from...

Cheers
Bob  Wink

Gearotic Motion
Bob
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 11:44:44 AM »

Art, Bob, stop it, you're killing me ,about the time I think I should concentra te on existing projects you guys tempt me with yet another fascinati ng idea. So much fun so little time. At least I wont be bored for the next 10-15 years. ( don't stop!!!) Grin Dan
Enjenjoe

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 03:37:52 PM »

http://epsondevelopers.com/home
I found this art its the developer s site with the code for there printers.
I'm hoping that you can figure out the interface needed and release a new software for the printers like Mach for printers
The DTG, 3D printing and Flat bed printer could sure you this software
The 3D that I have seen use the ink jet to deposit a liquid hardener, One I found that Graham had built used corn flour and ink to create a 3d image.
The new UV printer look like it might work. They use the same print head as the 4800 epson with a UV light to harden the polymer.
The Extrude  design is Nice but the resolutio n or finish has been the challenge . With a Ink jet the piece could be colored to show the finished product
Free epson Manuals  At http://www.t-shirtforums.com/diy-dtg/t134847.html

Also Art how far past the border at Alex bay do you live or are you closer to Buffalo.
Thanks Randy
AKA Enjen Joes

Thanks Randy
AKA Enjen Joes
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:34:29 AM »

Hi Randy:

( I live as far east as you can get.. long ways from Buffalo.. Smiley

I got a HP inket this week and disassemb led it.. looks like it will work for
printing on powder, but I havent yet played with interfaci ng..

Im in the throws of writing a Mach3 driver for the Mesa 5i20 card.. this would
give me 48 more outputs and 24 more inputs to Mach3.. something I may use for
the 3d printer project..

Ill post a few pics of the disassemb led InkJet as soon as I can.. Im on 3 projects at the moment, thought the mesa project is getting close to done, leaving me with only GM and 3d printing. . kinda related to each other.. So things will move faster soon.

Thx
Art
John S

Nottingham, England

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 07:53:39 AM »

Main forum page.

3d Pinters Discussio n

It's pRinters you plick.   Grin

John S.
Nottingha m, England
Enjenjoe

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 06:49:52 PM »

Then your closer to the Thousand Islands then.
a epson print head might work better as the hp only shoots dyed water. the epson be shooting just about anything that's a liquid

Thanks Randy
AKA Enjen Joes
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:16:47 PM »

Hi:

Be awhile before I know for sure.. I got an inket this week and tore it apart.. Im thinking it may work fine..

Not much in them these days.. but it looks foolable. .

Art
Ya-Nvr-No

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 08:11:34 AM »

I am a member of this engineeri ng site
Thought you might be intereste d in this site and discussio n.

http://www.engineeringexchange.com/profiles/blogs/the-end-of-manufacturing-as-we

BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 01:11:20 PM »

Ya-Nvr-No ;

Will take a look..Tha nks for the post.

Cheers
Bob

Gearotic Motion
Bob
vmax549

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »

HI ART, will the new driver be a full fledged driver or just for 3d printing.  Will it allow the spindle to gear to the Z? for rigid tapping and threading?

(;-) TP
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 04:24:33 PM »

Terry:

I doubt a new driver will be necessary ...a plugin perhaps. But since I know you have an interest,
the Mach3-Mesa driver isnt far away I think. We have one running now under a new driver. SO Mach3 can do 2 printer ports combined with 3 24 bit IO's very shortly. That shoudl be enough to get doen what I need to do.

Art
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: