GearHeads Corner
October 25, 2020, 04:50:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: stl to gcode software  (Read 7136 times)
Mooselake

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:04:53 AM »

I've been trying to machine a bevel gear, but am not having any luck with convertin g the stl files to gcode.  My normal cad/cam software, HeeksCAD, will import step and iges files, but not .stl .  Pycam basically hangs, 12+ hours on a quad-core AMD, trying to handle the file using both the windows and linux versions.  I read that stl to step or iges isn't very reliable but haven't actually tried it yet.

Does anyone know of free or cheap software that will let me take GM's .stl files and output gcode, under either linux or Windows?

Thanks!

Kirk
John S

Nottingham, England

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:51:10 AM »

3D and cheap don't normally go hand in hand.
have a look at Vectric's Cut 3D

John S.
Nottingha m, England
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:36:14 PM »

Kirk;

Vectric's cut 3D

Gearotic Motion
Bob
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »

Cut3D is a fine package, but I was hoping to try a few bevel gears without spending $300.

The RepRap guys have several choices, but they're for raster-type devices, not routers.  I'll keep looking, and maybe contact the pycam developer s and pass on a file for them to test.

Thanks for the replies.

Kirk
John S

Nottingham, England

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 03:08:50 PM »

I can code one up for you if you want.
let me know the various parameter s tools, feed etc and supply an stl file and I'll post you the code back.

John S.
Nottingha m, England
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »

Thanks, John, I appreciat e it.  I just took my youngest back to U of Michigan and won't be back home for a week.  I'll send you something then.

Kirk
danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2011, 11:34:13 AM »

Go to the http://replicat.org/ web site and d/l replicato r G it has a good stl to G code convertor . It's free. You may have to delete some of the unused M codes but otherwise its pretty good.

Dan Mauch

I've been trying to machine a bevel gear, but am not having any luck with convertin g the stl files to gcode.  My normal cad/cam software, HeeksCAD, will import step and iges files, but not .stl .  Pycam basically hangs, 12+ hours on a quad-core AMD, trying to handle the file using both the windows and linux versions.  I read that stl to step or iges isn't very reliable but haven't actually tried it yet.

Does anyone know of free or cheap software that will let me take GM's .stl files and output gcode, under either linux or Windows?

Thanks!

Kirk
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: