GearHeads Corner
October 28, 2020, 06:16:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: 80tooth straight bevel  (Read 10661 times)
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 12:44:07 AM »

Hi Mooselake;

I tried to reproduce your scenario on my XP with V3.002, it worked fine every time, never failed, only a small video delay from solid to wire mode, otherwise works great. Is the problem repeatabl e even after a clean boot? I'll discuss this with Art tomorrow, thanks for posting.

Cheers
Bob
 Sad

Gearotic Motion
Bob
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 03:14:28 AM »

It's repeatabl e, and after a reboot.  This time it made two copies of the smaller pinion gear rather than the bigger wheel.  This machine is a single-core Intel Atom nettop with 2GB, and has been very stable.  Leaving it in wire frame will cause the same problem, and trying to save the project file will also crash GM.  It might be somehow related to demo mode.

I meant to try wire frame on my 32 bit W7Pro amd quad-core, but forgot.  This machine will not generate .stl files, either.  Generated 2.5D gcode will cut a regular spur gear, didn't really expect 3D bevel cutting, but was hopeful.  There were no error messages, just the spur gear gcode.  I cut the gear, 1.5" diameter, 10.0 DP, 14 (iirc) teeth, and a 1/16" endmill.  It looked fine on the viewer, and good on the router until it came lose from my improvise d fixture (darn) and got a bit chewed up.  Guess I need to figure out how to hold down a round hdpe disk while the edges are being cut.

I'll give it a try under XP mode and see if that makes any differenc e with the stl files - W7Pro's XP mode is a licensed copy of XP in a virtual machine, not just a compatibi lity mode and should give the same results as XP on the same hardware.   I'll also try wire/solid and see if it's strange there.

Kirk
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 09:27:40 AM »

Thanks for the update Kirk;

Continuin g to look into this problem.. ..

Cheers
Bob

Gearotic Motion
Bob
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 11:38:10 AM »

Hi Guys:

Ill run some tests on my win7 and see what it does.. My xp seems fine..

Art
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 02:13:35 PM »

Maybe it's just me...

On 32b W7Pro SP1,  amd 620 quad core, 4.0GB (2.87 usable<sigh>), 3.002 downloade d and updated early this morning, and licensed.  It's been updated regularly since I bought it.  Here's what I did:

Start GM
Click spur gears tab
Click Bevel, leave at straight and 90* shaft
Change DP to 10.0, wheel to 28t, pinion to 13 (trying to get 3.0 and 1.5" gear diameters).  Spokes at 4 straight, 33% leg and rim ratios (how it came up)
Click create wheel, then OK to create solid gear.  Gear appears in project screen
back to spur tab
click create pinion, OK to create gear, click on screen
place at 180* (whoops, missed, 177* this time)
Rotate.  Things move as expected (although the default is the teeth point away from the viewer in ISO mode)
Click solid/wire.  Gears switch to wireframe .
Click rotate.  Gears switch to both 13t, otherwise same position, and start turning.
Click solid, back to original size
Rotate, back to both 13t.

Solid/wire switches back to specified sizes, rotate on/off, ccw step, cw step back to 13t.

attached is a dir listing of c:\Gearotic Motion.  If you'd like I can email you all the files; (suspect you wouldn't like the license file posted), just in case it's an old file hanging around that the installer missed.  Let me know if you need a file listing from anyplace else.

I'll try creating a .stl file and post separatel y.

And, just so the gentle readers don't get the wrong idea, this is an obscure bug in a beta version of a great product that I'd buy again without hesitatio n.

Kirk

* gmfiles.txt (0.9 KB - downloaded 294 times.)
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 02:37:03 PM »

My system is similar to Kirk s and I tried what he did and got the same results. I then tried, spur ,bevel straight, D pitch 5, P angle 10, wheel 80, pinion 15, hit create wheel and progress bar went two thirds and stopped . Nothing in 3d window and when I hit the mouse functions the screens oscillate between 2d and 3d screens. I agree with Kirk and feel good about going through the beta process even though I barely know what I'm doing. Dan Roll Eyes
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 02:40:07 PM »

For the stl file, same steps through placing both gears from a clean program start.  180* this time.  No wire frame.

Click output manager, then select only 3D stl
Name project Bevel2, click OK
Thinks a bit, then back to project screen.
This time bevel2 has an stl file, 9.5 MB.

Weird.  I believe before I'd always selected both gcode and stl.

Deleted all the files from GearData\Bevel2

Back to still open GM, click output manager, select 2.5D gcode and .stl file, click create output, wait a bit.
This time has both tap and stl files.

I restarted GM and tried the 13T 1.5" gear with no stl file from last night (created from scratch, just the wheel added to the project), got an stl file this time.

Restartin g GM, then loading the project file from yesterday, then going to the output manager and selecting only .stl gives a 4.8M stl file.

The only differenc e from the last try was installin g W7 SP1.  I'll dig out the W7 notebook that I take to work and see if it'll make an stl without SP1.  You can disregard this one.  I'll try cutting the stl after I make another blank.

Kirk
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 03:19:10 PM »

Hi Kirk:

Im still not sure of all the particula rs..but I HAVE found the wire-frame bug. What was happeing is the display was displayin g the wrong gear.. in reality the gear was fine internall y and would have stl'ed properly. ..but the display was wrong. Fixed for next version..

Im still looking into Win7 weirdness .. My Win7 works OK..BUT is 100 times slower than it shoudl be.. still tryign to figure out if its my video card or not.. Its setup for playign WOW..all I do on that win7 machine. Smiley

Art
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: