GearHeads Corner
October 25, 2020, 06:00:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 80tooth straight bevel  (Read 10630 times)
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2011, 03:19:42 PM »

I'm restoring and antique music box. The gear I'm wanting to replace is a 1 degree bevel with 80 teeth. Gearotic motion only allow the maximum of 59 teeth, am I missing something? The gear is 4 inches in dia.  Dan
John S

Nottingham, England

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 04:52:51 PM »

Eighty teeth 4" OD works out closest to 20.5 DP

Worked out OK for me V3.002

OOpps.
Spotted the bevel OD is only 3.9204

If you redo this as 20 DP the bevel OD is 4.0184
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 04:55:26 PM by John S » Logged

John S.
Nottingha m, England
Ken_Shea

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 04:56:26 PM »

How is the bevel angle set?
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 06:44:18 PM »

I noticed that I had 3.001 so I upgraded to 3.002 and tried again and I can't generate any bevels at the settings suggested . I just get a blank screen and when I hit the motion button the spur gear window blinks off and on rapidly. In other words it is all messed up. Is it my computer Huh I'm running windows 7 and the computer is new with all the fast stuff. Huh Dan
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »

Dan;

3.002 works here on my XP without any problems but I don't have access to any Win7 to test it with,   yet ..
Anyone else running Win7 have similar issues with version 3.002 ?

Bob
 Sad

Gearotic Motion
Bob
bosr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 08:36:56 PM »

I'm running a laptop with Vista Home Premium and it worked for me.
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 01:04:31 AM »

Works OK for me on a W7 (upgraded from Vista) notebook and 3.002.  Makes a 29K line gcode file, but no way to view or test at work.  No .stl file, but that might not be working yet.

If I remember I'll try on W7 Pro about Wednesday when I get back home.

Kirk
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 04:38:45 AM »

Something really strange is going on with my computer as far as Gearotic is concerned . I reverted to2.25 and am seeing the problems I had with the latest version. That is nothing now works, the progress bar goes to two thirds and stops and no gear in the 3D, I see gears in the 2d correctly and it shows in the project list. When I use any of the mouse functions it toggles between 2d and 3d views. When I hit the motion button it cycles rapidly between 2d and 3d screens. Gearotic worked before no problem now all of a sudden Huh. I have no issues with the other half dozen or so cad/cam soft wares on by computer. color me clueless. Dan
John S

Nottingham, England

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 04:41:04 AM »

STL's are working for me on XP, I'll try my W7 laptop tonight.

One thing on XP though is I have to start the program up as admin to get the text to show.

John S.
Nottingha m, England
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 09:58:51 AM »

I have uninstall ed and re-installed. Gearotic is severely broken. Help! Dan
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 10:55:14 AM »

Hi Dan;

Not sure why this happening to you, but can you go to your windows   "control panel"  in  "add remove programs"  and check to see if Gearotic Motion V3.002 is installed ? If it is or better yet multiple versions exist, please remove them all, reboot and re-install Gearotic Montion once more. Please let us know the results.

Thanks
Bob
 Huh

Gearotic Motion
Bob
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »

Bob the only gearotic installed on my computer is V3.002 I have reinstall ed and rebooted. It seems to get more erratic the more I play with it. Have you seen any graphics cards that are not compatibl e? My card is high speed, high ram for cad/cam etc. Dan
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 02:14:44 PM »

Dan;

No I havn't seen any problems prior to yours, but as we all know V3.002 is reletivel y new. SO that I understan d problem correctly you ran an older version V3.001 prior to 3.002 without any problems , now you've installed V3.002 and have issues, reverted back to an older version and still have same issue? Is that correct?

Have you recently upgraded your video driver by any chance? Does any of these issues occur when not using Gearotic? Do you get any messages from windows or Gearotic when errors occur?

Cheers
Bob
 Huh

Gearotic Motion
Bob
dansfoundry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 03:43:44 PM »

No I havn't seen any problems prior to yours, but as we all know V3.002 is reletivel y new. SO that I understan d problem correctly you ran an older version V3.001 prior to 3.002 without any problems , now you've installed V3.002 and have issues, reverted back to an older version and still have same issue? Is that correct?
            I've only recently started to play with Gearotic so it may have been broke from the beginning . I'm sure there is a conflict with my system config as nobody else has these problems.

Have you recently upgraded your video driver by any chance? Does any of these issues occur when not using Gearotic? Do you get any messages from windows or Gearotic when errors occur?

NO
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 07:28:53 PM »

I did some experimen ting, this time under WinXP, creating a pair of bevel gears, 10DP, 28t wheel, 14t pinion, 90* shaft angle, then added both to the project.  If the solid/wire button is clicked, then clicked again, then rotate turned on, the pinion becomes the same size as the wheel.  The shaft position remains the same, and the gears no longer meet.  Click solid/wire twice they'll come back to normal, then the pinion expands again if rotate is clicked.   Texturing is turned off.

I didn't install the key file on this machine, so I can't tell if stl file output works (got the error message).  When I tried to close the output window GM hung, then crashed.

I hope to try to make a bevel gear on my "official" cnc PC (W7Pro) tonight - I got a box of 1 to 3 inch round HDPE and delrin cutoffs off ebay, made a couple blanks with the Unimat, and will see if I can turn them into a gear or two.  Just have to finish the tool position laser installat ion (thanks Tweakie!) first. 

Kirk
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: