GearHeads Corner
December 12, 2019, 01:48:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  
Author Topic: Guilloche!  (Read 1932 times)
Hessel Oosten

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2019, 07:03:49 AM »

Kirk,

I'm totally -not- ahead of you !

This was the simple way of drawing a DXF and NOT a simulator !!!

I followed Roger Smith's pattern, with the polylines (PEDIT) the old straight zag-zag-line this machine also makes.
So many lines are double by this "copied" method (see video Roger Smith), which gives a longer millng time.
In fact if there is zero backlash this will be the same as a pattern without these double lines....
If that (zero backlash) is the case, it's a loss of energy.
If the machine is not quite optimal.. ., milling a long way from one side to the other side (without too much interupti ons in Z axis and X/Y direction) could be better (I think...).

Attached the DXF.

Hessel

* BasketWeave 2.dxf (227.78 KB - downloaded 13 times.)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 07:23:25 AM by Hessel Oosten » Logged
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2019, 03:31:52 PM »

I'm trying to stay faithful to the old machines, at least by generatin g (plan to eventuall y read from a file, too) triangle and sine pattern bar equivalen ts, and then shifting the resulting patterns horizonta lly and verticall y like the machine does.  Might add a bit of randomnes s to look a bit like handmade. Simulatio n might be an exaggerat ion since I'm just creating the pattern and putting copies of it into the workspace, rather than actually tracing along it.  The differenc e is subtle, the actual machine uses a rubber moving against the pattern and the result is affected by the geometry of the point, my version could be considere d to have an infinitel y sharp rubber.  The programmi ng language I'm using (Processin g) works in pixels, not sure how that carries over into the written svg files since a pixel is just over a quarter of a mm in their model.  Still have to figure out how to do image masking/clipping to, although I might punt and try it in Inkscape for now.  Couldn't figure out how to do it with Vexx or Carbide Create, might have something to do with multiple open paths clipped by a closed shape.

If I keep going I might have to either dredge up my ancient copy of visual c++, or see if vc express is good enough to do what I want, or maybe NetBeans after seeing Bill Oombs rose engine simulator .  Haven't found how to do either a pulldown list or spreadshe et emulator in Processin g to allow specifyin g each line of a pattern, so I'm just inserting the appropria te descripti on and recompili ng.  Been a while since I've rubbed any programmi ng neurons together, they've gotten a little gummed up.  Wonder if they make a version of WD40 for that?

I found a copy of Alan Battersby's geometric chuck simulator on GitHub for a future project, avoiding the need to work out the math for a 7 gear train that moves in mysteriou s (at least to me now) ways that I haven't found a descripti on of.  In the old days they'd sometimes stack 2 or more chucks.  Not sure I'm up to rotating frames of reference for stacked chucks, perhaps polar coordinat es with the appropria te shift?

If I can get this all done maybe we can talk Art into cleaning it up and putting it into a Vexx wizard or two Smiley

Next knee surgery back on for Wednesday, two days from now, pending another doctor clearance .  Might delay the programmi ng effort a while.

Kirk
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 03:47:04 PM by Mooselake » Logged
Hessel Oosten

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2019, 05:27:00 PM »

Much success with your knee !

Hopefully straighte ning -and- turning the knee... Wink will follow soon !

H.
Hessel Oosten

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2019, 04:51:30 PM »

Inspired lately by the guilloché messages from Mooslake (Kirk) I did a few other trials.

If I did saw well this week, Kirk posted a message in another subforum here, so I hope there is some form of recovery from the latest medical procedure .
In that case.... it's time for a few pictures.

First the "basket weave pattern", well known.

But in a video here above we saw that master engraver/horologist Joshua Shapiro, made a variant on the basket weave:

Some baskets .. are left empty in first instance, but later.. filled with an even smaller basket weave pattern.
So a basket weave within a basket weave.

Time for some amateuris tic imitation s....:-).

In the second photo the circle (about 30 mm) is only rotated a few times, to show in all three the same object, but only with that rotation
(to show different looking patterns, ONLY due to the position of the light).

Hessel

* P1280199.JPG (560.23 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 27 times.)

* shapiro views.jpg (645.65 KB, 1773x564 - viewed 21 times.)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:43:41 PM by Hessel Oosten » Logged
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2019, 09:17:28 PM »

Nice!

Art
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »

Those look impressiv e!  I'd better get back to work Smiley

Hopefully I'm done with knee milling exercises, the biopsy went well and the bugs have moved out, and the final revision knee was installed three weeks ago in a 4 hour surgery.  Didn't watch, although they did let me get to the OR before giving me the amnesia juice.  23cm incision so it grew about 75mm/3" over the previous one, they like to keep using the same spot (has to do with preservin g blood vessels) so only one scar despite 5 visits inside.  This recovery is my best so far

While I still can't sit in the desk chair long enough to do anything useful I'm looking forward to getting back to the router and programmi ng project.  I'm not sure the inexpensi ve dinky router, or my rusty programmi ng skills, are up to the quality of Hessel's work.
tweakie

Super Kitty

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2019, 07:04:57 AM »

Wishing you a speedy recovery Kirk.

Tweakie.
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2019, 07:39:51 AM »

My knee hurts just thinking of it.. get well soon...

Art

BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2019, 04:14:11 PM »

Get well soon Kirk.

Cheers
Bob
 Wink

Gearotic Motion
Bob
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »

Thanks to all of you!  The last 6+ months have been rough at times, although lots of other people have been through lots worse.

I try to think of it as a interesti ng experienc e, lots of high technolog y, exotic (non-recreational) pharmaceu ticals, and advanced medical technique s that are very interesti ng to watch and read about.  The engineer and medic coming out, I guess.  A one in a million type of infection, not the everyday 1 in 100 (per joint replaceme nt) type.  I admit it would be just as interesti ng to watch it in somebody else Smiley , without all the discomfor t and physical therapy.  Although maybe I'd still be distracte d by all the work that somehow decided to show up as I eased into retiremen t rather than getting back to the important stuff like CNC and gear making.  Anybody know of a good deal on a smaller fellows gear shaper?

As an incentive to get back in the desk chair, plus an inability to resist the black friday sales, an Ender 3 Pro 3D printer will arrive today and be taking up residence next to the 3018 router.  Not an i3 Mk3, alas, but fits the available space better.  Time to see if I can 3D print a club foot escapemen t, making it actually tick could be another show.  Then there's the getting back to the guilloche software project, need to decide if it's time to move on to Visual C++ or keep fiddling with Processin g.  All this image stuff, graphics, math, clipping (how do I fit a round pattern in a square hole?), etc is outside my embedded system/OS/realtime comfort zone

Kirk
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »

My knee hurts just thinking of it..
Well, 90% of people wish they would have had their knee replaceme nts sooner Smiley  I wish I could have held out until the 3D printed cartilage got out of the lab and past it's perpetual 10 years from being usable stage.  Might arrive about the same time practical fusion power does.

I suggest an ice pack, a good TV show,  and maybe some adult beverages

Kirk
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
  Print  

Jump to: