GearHeads Corner
January 28, 2020, 03:42:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An attempt at simulating Newton's cradle  (Read 51 times)
BillM

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2020, 04:11:56 PM »

Art

The attached is my attempt to simulate the Newton's Cradle toy. Using the Augie vector Processor (AVP). I usually run the simulatio n with a speed setting of ~40%.

What I expected would be to observe alternati ng single right - left deflectio ns once I start the model by deflectin g the right most ball. If I deflect two or more right balls then the right/left cycles should match the initial number of balls deflected .

Some of my initial settings for the model were based on my experimen ts with Body energy Coefficie nt and Bounce % that I published under an earlier post.

After some unsuccess ful looking simulatio ns I started to experimen t with varying Pivot energy. I'm still not completel y happy with the simulatio n having seen videos of such a toy in action.

Can you explain what Pivot energy is? 

Bill Michael

* NewtonsCradleToy.vcp (36.08 KB - downloaded 4 times.)
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 06:01:18 PM »

Hi Bill:

I believe pivot energy was a resistanc e to pivot, but Ill have to check the code..bee n a very long time since
Ive used that vector processor, I was toying with remving it, it wasa fun experimen t but Im not so sure its
ever going to go forward in its current form.. I may just leave it there till I get around to a better one though...

Art
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: