GearHeads Corner
January 24, 2020, 09:15:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mach3 controlling a 3d printer using a sherline mill  (Read 7380 times)
danmauch

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2011, 11:49:33 AM »

The biggest problem with trying to use a conventio nal XYZ stage(mill/router) for 3d printing with mach3 has been the termperat ure controlle r for the build platform and the extruder. With the latest plastrude r and the termperat ure contoller this guy built looks like he solved the remaining issues. See http://blog.gnexlab.com/index.php?post/2011/05/27/Converting-a-CNC-Machine-to-a-3D-Printer

Dan Mauch
www.camtr onics-cnc.com
kits, custom and assembled cnc systems using gecko products.

ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 09:36:12 AM »

Very reasonabl y priced for a temperatu re controlle r. When I get to the stage of building a plastic extruder I may get one of these myself.

Im working on prototype s now for mixing powder..s uch as clay or icing sugar..on the fly. Dunno if it will work but I figure
soem work should be done to find out.. Smiley

Art
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:25:54 PM »

Art;

I think we should continue using icing sugar, if results fail, we still get to have a treat. lol 

I found the plastrude r cool also, still concern about the hanging tabs though. Reversing the direction may not necessari ly clip the tab exactly where you want it to... Also, what could the max feedrate be if we used this type of temperatu re controlle r for extruding plastic?

Bob Roll Eyes

Gearotic Motion
Bob
Sonny

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 12:58:11 AM »

One way around dealing with the temperatu re controlle r is just to use a PID controlle r.  There are many people that do that with their 3d printers today when they don't want to use the mosfets.  In reality you don't change temperatu res during the print, so it doesn't matter as long as you can shut down the PID afterward s.

The biggest problem with trying to use a conventio nal XYZ stage(mill/router) for 3d printing with mach3 has been the termperat ure controlle r for the build platform and the extruder. With the latest plastrude r and the termperat ure contoller this guy built looks like he solved the remaining issues. See http://blog.gnexlab.com/index.php?post/2011/05/27/Converting-a-CNC-Machine-to-a-3D-Printer

Dan Mauch
www.camtr onics-cnc.com
kits, custom and assembled cnc systems using gecko products.

danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 10:47:56 AM »

I finally got some time to try some 3D ABS prints using Mach3. First some backgroun d. There are quite a few people using Mach3 and using replicato rG to generate G code for mach3. I know of two configura tions using a stepper motor for extruder control. Seemecnc use the (m3 AND m5) spindle in a step and direction mode, Gnex uses the A axis using it in the linear mode. It allows for retractio n of the filiament to prevent over runs. I have settled on the Gnexlab's version.
 The most difficult part of 3d printing is the startup configura tion of the speed of the axis and the flow rate of the extruder. That coupled with the numerous setting for skeinforg e is at first daunting. The first few prints were horrible. As I learned from my mistakes and doing addition research the prints keep on getting better. I hve posted pictures  of some recent prints that are not perfect but are getting there.  One thing that did impress me so far was how hard the ABS plastic was .   The bevel gear was created with GM and when I correct a few things think I can make some pretty fair gears

My setup is basically a precision 10X10  XY stage that I had laying around . It uses ballscrew s. The Z axis is also very good but uses a 20 tpi rolled leadscrew . The xtruder is the stepper Plastrude r. I currently am using a PID termperat ure controlle r from GNEXLAB. It controls the temperatu re of the extruder  using a thermocou ple. I don't have it set up yet but it also  supports a heated build platform. The motion control is old stepper motors on the XY and  a 4 axis G540 to control all 4 motors.
The G540 will run the motors at 1500 MM
Dan Mauch

I found the plastrude r cool also, still concern about the hanging tabs though. Reversing the direction may not necessari ly clip the tab exactly where you want it to... Also, what could the max feedrate be if we used this type of temperatu re controlle r for extruding plastic?

Bob Roll Eyes
[/quote]

* DSC00403 (Small).JPG (98.44 KB, 720x480 - viewed 772 times.)
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »

Hi Dan;

Thanks for sharing pics and developme nt with all of us, job well done. Lots to be said for the strength in extruded ABS plastic as you mentioned, mostlikel y why it continues to be one of the prefered material to use in 3D printing. I assume time will allow new technique s and hardware to evolve in extruder applicati ons, I just hope it's enough to enhance the resolutio n also. 

Cheers
Bob

Gearotic Motion
Bob
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:37 PM »

Nice Pics dan. We're working still on a poowder printer, Id like to get the resolutio n up higher than the extruders .
Ive decided that my 3d printer will be USB controlle d, and totally controlle d by Gearotic itself. We'll see how it all goes.

Art

danmauch

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 01:09:57 PM »

If you are looking for a low cost USB interface take a look at http://www.circuitgizmos.com/products/cgu421/cgu421.shtml

Theres lots of techical suuff and source code.

Dan

Nice Pics dan. We're working still on a poowder printer, Id like to get the resolutio n up higher than the extruders .
Ive decided that my 3d printer will be USB controlle d, and totally controlle d by Gearotic itself. We'll see how it all goes.

Art

ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »

Dan:

Actually, Im going with PoKeys.. They have USB devices with 50 IO, 3 analogue in, 1 analogue out, and encoder readers, so I can control the entire printer with usb, and have lots of io for future expansion .

Art
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: