GearHeads Corner
December 12, 2018, 04:32:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Laser cutting metal gears  (Read 77 times)
Eastblock

View Profile
« on: November 03, 2018, 09:57:30 AM »

Hi All

In about a months time I will receive a 1kW fiber laser for cutting metal. I hope to be able to cut functiona l gears on it. I know they will not be suitable for heavy duty use as the cut faces aren't perfectly straight on a laser. However I hope they will be good enough for light duty in Rolling Ball Sculpture s.

Has anyone in the group ever cut metal gears on a laser or have had some cut?

Cheers,

Michael
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 11:34:14 AM »

Michael;

No metal gears for me, however they cut and work great on wood or plastic. I don't suspect you'll have any issues as long as the curf from the cut line has been taken into considera tion. Good Luck and have fun.

Cheers
Bob
 Smiley

Gearotic Motion
Bob
Dan Mauch

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »

How thick are the gears going to be? Something you might want to consider is two make two thinner gears with dowel pin holes. Then sandwich them together and secure with dowel pins.
Dan Mauch

Hi All

In about a months time I will receive a 1kW fiber laser for cutting metal. I hope to be able to cut functiona l gears on it. I know they will not be suitable for heavy duty use as the cut faces aren't perfectly straight on a laser. However I hope they will be good enough for light duty in Rolling Ball Sculpture s.

Has anyone in the group ever cut metal gears on a laser or have had some cut?

Cheers,

Michael
Eastblock

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 03:44:32 PM »

The gears will probably be in the 3-6mm range.

I've cut loads of wood and plastic gears on my CO2 lasers and they work fine in my marble machine kits where there is little load.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: