GearHeads Corner
October 25, 2020, 05:13:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: Machining Bevels.  (Read 56393 times)
Nate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »

Hi:

Bevels will be dealt with in a waterline engraving module, but probably not till next fall.

Naively, it seems like the easiest way to cut bevel gears on a 3-axis CNC machine would be to generate a gear profile numerical ly, and then profile cut with a ball nose end mill, but I haven't seen any discussio n of that in the thread.  Is there some compellin g reason not to take that approach?
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2015, 08:50:52 AM »

Nate:

Thats the plan. Its not easy to cut bevels, but for beverls less than 45 degrees, the workbench shoudl be
able to profile them, for more than 45 degrees, he 4th axis shoudl eb able to profile them..

Art
Nate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »

That's the plan. Its not easy to cut bevels, but for bevels less than 45 degrees, the workbench should be
able to profile them, for more than 45 degrees, he 4th axis should be able to profile them..

A bevel gear with lots of helicity, a small pressure angle, and large teeth can have both radial and axial overhangs .  (That is to say, require a 'tilt' or 5th axis set up.)  I'm not sure whether gears like that have any practical applicati on.

This is a section of a decorativ e bevel gear I  modeled.  If the pitch cone angle were larger, you can see that there would be a 'double undercut'.
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »

Nate:

Couldnt agree more. Fact is, bevels are hard, Ill try to make it so some work, some dont, basically we'll just have ot
live with whatever we ifnd the limitatio ns are...unl ess we all want to buy 5th axis machines. . Smiley

Art
Nate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2015, 07:09:46 PM »

Couldn't agree more. Fact is, bevels are hard, I'll try to make it so some work, some don't, basically we'll just have to
live with whatever we find the limitatio ns are...unl ess we all want to buy 5th axis machines. . Smiley

On second thought, it may be possible on that 4th axis after all, but it will require the cutting tool and the gear axis to be skew to each other.   (I'm not sure what the right term for that is.)

Just for fun, a 45 degree chevron bevel gear section - these really want to be 3-D printed, if anything.
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2015, 07:33:38 PM »

I must admit, bevels is one reason I like 3d printers. . Smiley

Art
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: