GearHeads Corner
January 26, 2020, 12:59:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can Auggie be configured for Y axis to be rotary instead of linear ?  (Read 319 times)
David Morrow

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2019, 09:52:51 AM »

I have happily been using Mach3 and Sheetcam for the last 15 or so years without anything more than the occasiona l hiccup. But now I've backed myself into a corner. I have designed a small CNC benchtop engraving / guilloche machine that uses lathe cutting tools instead of end mills  / router bits. The fundament al differenc e being that the lathe tool has a single sided cutting surface whereas the end mills cutter is 360 degrees. The machine has 3 axes - X, Y, and A. A axis is a rotary table.

And now for the problem: In Mach3, you cannot set Y to be a rotary axis hence the use of A. But, Sheetcam only recognize s X,Y and Z. It has been suggested that I simply use Y for the rotary table but that won't work because I need the rotary table to operate only counter clockwise due to the single sided cutting tool. With a normally operating Y axis, the controlle r moves the cutter backward when moving from positive Y coordinat es back towards 0.00 . But, on my setup, moving the Y axis backwards would just rub the material against the backside, the non-cutting side, of the cutting tool.

And, with that somewhat convolute d descripti on of my problem, can Auggie be setup so that the Y axis operates a rotary table ( ie, it increment s in degrees, not inches / mm ) ?

( I looked all over for a link to download Auggie but came up empty. Can you give me a link please ? )

Here are a couple pic's of my little machine. It is just a mockup but it does operate ( other than my software issue ). It is sitting on one of my CNC routers so you will see some of that in the backgroun d so please don't let that confuse you.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 12:24:22 PM by David Morrow » Logged
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »

Hi David:

I dont think I put any rollover in Auggie at all. To be honest, Im not sure, Ill
have to look. I havent used 4th axis in Auggie myself. Ill check and let you know.

The download is on the www.gearo tic.com downloads page as a separate download, you do have
to have Gearotic installed and install Auggie to the same folder. The demo of Gearotic is fine, Auggie just
needs some of its files. 

I am sure though that you cannot do it with X,Y or Z, they are definitel y linear axis only.

Art
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 10:18:03 AM »

Hi David:

Just checked and their is no rollover in Auggie even on the A axis, all axis
are considere d linear, though one can set the rotary axis to steps/degree,
it will still be a linear axis from -inf to +inf in position. .

Art
David Morrow

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2019, 10:29:29 AM »

Thanks Art. I have a Gearotic licence so I may try Auggie anyways.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: