GearHeads Corner
June 18, 2018, 11:39:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello And Greetings And All That -- K40 Laser And Gearotic Question  (Read 268 times)
Max McGrumpy

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2017, 04:09:17 PM »

Hello, group!    My name is Max McGrumpy.  I run a hobby group on Facebook,  and I asked Art if I could take Gearotic for a test drive.

My primary interest was using it to generate STL files for 3D printing,  and I'll be dabbling with that shortly.   In the meantime I had a request for laser cut wooden gears from my K40.    The goal is to use those wood cutouts as casting patterns,  the end use is a steam-punk hobby group.   The gears will be light-duty "non-functional" prop parts cast out of aluminum.     

What is the easiest/simplest way to generate an output that the K40 can use?  I have that horrific LaserDrw nightmare that it ships with as well as Scorchwor k's K40 Whisperer software.   

If anyone has some insight or experienc e using those programs to cut using Gearotic's output I would appreciat e the insight.. .    Upgrading the laser is not in the cards for the time being due to budget reasons.
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 08:21:41 PM »

Hi Max:

Probably just the raw DXF's for the K40. After generatin g a gear onto the project screen,
just hit the DXF button for output, and select the gear you need in the project tree. Hit
output and youll be asked for a project name if you dont have one set.. the file will appear
in C:\Gearotic Thoughts\GearData\YourProjectName\*.dxf

I usually print at 98% scale.. allows some backlash in case you neglected to add some in.

If you get lost, do a web search, this forum has almost every question possible asked somewhere ..
and if all else fails, or your too lazy to search.. ask. Smiley

Art

Max McGrumpy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 08:28:53 PM »

Hi Max:

...or your too lazy to search.. ask. Smiley

Art

Yep, that's me!   Grin

I prefer asking anyway because the organic meat-problems between the chair and keyboard often consider things I don't.   If I ask a meat-wad a question I'll most likely get "and another thing...." whereas a Google search will answer only the question I ask.   If I don't phrase it right I may not get ALL the informati on I need.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: