GearHeads Corner
July 10, 2020, 12:19:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Animate with a fixed gear  (Read 1042 times)
Edward French

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2017, 03:52:50 AM »

Is it possible to simulate and/or automate a gear train with a fixed gear such that the other gears in the train rotate around it?
I'd like to simulate the gears rotating around the white main gear in the video.
https://knowledge.autodesk.com/community/screencast/4cb07845-0b0b-4403-b58f-2ed626989d72
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 09:36:39 AM »

HI Edward:

It isnt currently possible to make them rotate that way, it may be at some point in future, but at the moment all force is projected in a linear
series with fixed shaft locations, it cant handle moving shafts that way..

Art
Stojan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 10:31:10 PM »

Hey G'day,

I was ferreting around looking for this feature as well. Arty have you implement ed this anywhere yet or its never going to make it? I'm designing or trying to an orrery where you have a gear following a path of a large gear but the large gear is stationar y.

Also have you got a tutorial how you went about building this?

* gear.jpg (30.23 KB, 500x375 - viewed 33 times.)
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2020, 08:53:33 AM »

Hi Stojan:

It isnt implement ed anywhere to have a gear actually move its shaft to go around another.
I cant say it wont make it. During this shutdown Ive upgraded my systems here to Win10
and a much faster computer and Im now toying with what to do as a project for Gearotic.
Ive spent the last couple weeks fixing up the visual items I see wrong in Vexx now that
Im in Win10.
   I am toying with some ideas for a recode of the simulator, but I have not as yet concluded
to go there.  Gearotic is getting long in the tooth and Im playing with some idea's as
to how to make its design functions more useful , we'll see how that goes.

Art

Stojan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 11:23:19 PM »

Hey Art G'day,

Welcome to windows 10, don't forget to switch things of in windows 10 there are many annoyance s, reporting suggestio ns they want to give you etc. All of which take up system resources and become a total annoyance . If you can avoid it don't use their login rather use your own login locally, if you do use their login they then time your use of win10 so at some point they can start charging or tell you its expired. There are no real apps from their store that one could say are essential to have. So the more you can keep their snout out of your trough the better you will be. The good things windows 10 has is their 3d builder for view stl files obj etc and its free. You should be able to run fusion 360 now as well its probably one of the best cad design programs out their and provided you use it for personal use it remains free.

Enough about win10, if you ever decide to introduce a fixed gear those that like making Orrery's will like it lots. You can always add more crazy gears, with Laser's and 3d printers pretty much a staple in a lot of houses nowadays, I'm sure Gearotic will appeal to more people. You just need to figure out how to play on peoples natural curiosity . How to appeal to the hobby market the face of manufactu ring has changed with the hobby market, the backyard producer is back, with covoid19 it will push more people to work from home as well. How to leverage that is the challenge but more and more people will look for software solutions to help them start making stuff from their back yards like my grandfath er did many years ago..

I'm sure you will come up with something to challenge you, in the mean time if you need assistanc e with win10 drop me a line... I've spent a lot of time switching things off that windows deems you should have on lol.

Oh if your already over it having to find things in Control Panel and you would like the one place to find them all ... Make a folder on your desktop called GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}  just cut and paste that. When you make the folder you will have access to all the goodies in one place rather than having to hunt for them. Its just a super user control panel... if its good for the goose its good for us, you won't break anything but it will make life wonderful .

Cheers,
Stojan
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: