GearHeads Corner
April 28, 2017, 08:51:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gecko 540 with Mach3  (Read 264 times)
marklazarz

View Profile WWW
« on: January 11, 2017, 11:01:21 AM »

I recently replaced a Chinese control box to a Gecko 540 control for my CNC router.  I shielded all control wires and the spindle wire in the process because I'm fighting a noise issue.  My motion control issues have been rectified but I occasiona lly get a fault on the Gecko that does not trigger the E-stop switch so Mach3 continues on it's merry way even though the machine is not moving.  This creates a major problem because it's hard to recover when the machine and DRO's don't match.  The Gecko 540 manual says pin #15 is used for FAULT (Input to PC).  Does anyone know how to use this signal to stop Mach3 at the point of the fault?

Thanks,

Mark
Dan Mauch

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 11:25:57 AM »

DB25 Pin 15 of the G540 is connected to pin 15 of the parallel port.
In Mach3 config>port and Pins> Inputs scroll down to ESTOP. There should be Green check mark on Enable then port 1 and pin 15 with a red X mark on low active.
When I was in business I have built hundreds of those G540's They are great Much better than the chinese stuff. On my systems that I use to build I added a wire from terminal 10(Disable/Estop) to a SPST switch the other side of the switch is then tied to Ground. With that switch you can manually repositio n your motors. In the connected side of the switch the motor are engergize d and if you have a fault or you fip the switch off you will be the estop and your motors and mach3 will stop.

Dan Mauch

I recently replaced a Chinese control box to a Gecko 540 control for my CNC router.  I shielded all control wires and the spindle wire in the process because I'm fighting a noise issue.  My motion control issues have been rectified but I occasiona lly get a fault on the Gecko that does not trigger the E-stop switch so Mach3 continues on it's merry way even though the machine is not moving.  This creates a major problem because it's hard to recover when the machine and DRO's don't match.  The Gecko 540 manual says pin #15 is used for FAULT (Input to PC).  Does anyone know how to use this signal to stop Mach3 at the point of the fault?

Thanks,

Mark
marklazarz

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »

DB25 Pin 15 of the G540 is connected to pin 15 of the parallel port.

Dan Mauch

Thanks Dan, that did it.  I missed that in my configura tion.

I'm not getting the "manually re-position your motors" concept.  Are you saying that you can jog the motors to a new position without the DRO's changing values?

Mark
Dan Mauch

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 03:45:25 PM »

A lot of guys use dual shaft motors and with the output to the motors disengage d you can manual move the motors to where you want to start and then engage the outputs to the motors.
Dan Mauch
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: