GearHeads Corner
December 13, 2017, 03:40:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reciprocating Arms  (Read 1556 times)
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2017, 06:50:46 PM »

I had a few hours of wood lathe (and other shop) classes in Jr. high, token shop class for the academic track, but nothing in the <mumble> years since.   Got a little HF VS mini wood lathe a few years ago (actually pretty nice for small stuff), tried some pen turning, started going to the adult open shop to learn something about turning, then somehow ended up with a 16x42 Grizzly rebuild project off Craigslis t.  My youngest decided she liked turning bottle stoppers while at home, so she's getting the HF and I replaced it with the PSI, both lathes are now 1-8 thread and MT2.  Had to move fast before Mrs. Moose figured out what's going on Smiley

Went to Utah for a turning class where they spent a lot of time on sharpenin g.  Picked up a CBN wheel that somebody had returned off the discount table (along with an expensive pile of HSS...); it's on the right side below.  The stand (finally, last coat of finish today, no more bare wood!) has the grinder almost at eye level (wheel center at shoulder height) - thought that was a pretty strange suggestio n from the teacher, but it works really well.  They get seriously discounte d hardwood from a big local mill, so it's made of black ash (Greg's suggestio n for dimension al stability).  Strange, but nice, when nice kiln dried hardwood is cheaper than lumber yard pine.  The sharpenin g system is a wolverine copy from PSI - works just as well as the real thing at the HS, but not as nicely finished.  Seriously sharp tools!

As you can see in the backgroun d the shop (former wood boiler room, went to an outdoor boiler) is both a work in progress and short on organizat ion.  I think I've strayed way OT.

Kirk

* Tool Grinder Stand.jpg (274.04 KB, 640x1137 - viewed 57 times.)
kit

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2017, 07:19:51 AM »

I think Mark's shop is bigger than my entire house Grin

Kit
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 11:20:18 AM »

You have a dream shop Mark, Congratz.

Gearotic Motion