GearHeads Corner
June 02, 2020, 02:43:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: A Musical Machine  (Read 3843 times)
kit

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2016, 04:00:42 AM »

Bob,
Good move bringing us back on track, it is a very ingenious machine. I like the construct ion methods as well. Built largely from wood and wire using hand tools it's something many people could emulate without needing the resources of a well equipped machine shop.

Art,
I'm afraid my 'old fart' status doesn't include retiremen t yet. It's going to be a few more years than I like to contempla te before I have enough loot stashed away for that happy event. Unless there's going to be a lot more demand for GPS-locked, wooden pendulum clocks than I'm currently expecting .
BillM

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 05:58:15 PM »

I finally got a chance to read through this forum thread about the Marble Music Machine.   When I first saw the youtube link to the video I showed it to my sons, one is an engineer and the other is a musician. ..they were both impressed .

Several years ago I saw an animated music video called "pipe dreams"  and I thought that it would  be great to see the machine in the real world (  see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCIpKAIFyo&spfreload=10 ).  The Wintergat an machine is  a real world creation.  

I  watched the Wintergat an vidoes on how the machine was built and works.  It's encouragi ng that the builder used conventio nal tools rather than CNC...esp ecially for non-CNC folks like me. The builder was certainly patient and persisten t as he experimen ted with different instrumen ts, sound effects, tuning, and programmi ng, etc.   The control of the tunes is reminisce nt of the Jaquard loom and Charles Babbage's analytica l engine.

In the second "how it works" video, it was good that the builder described some of his mistakes in the implement ation of the machine. It must have taken quite  bit of experimen tation to fine tune the timing of the ball bearings.  It will be interesti ng to see how the machine evolves with follow on designs.

Bill

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: