GearHeads Corner
November 20, 2017, 06:48:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confidence - suggestions, please  (Read 2577 times)
BMeyers

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2015, 06:08:00 AM »

Using a logitech HD c615 @ 176 x 44.  Purchased the web-cam for this feature.  If it isn't an appropria te model, please let me know.  Ranged the acquisiti on speed, shop light on and off (one of those twin head halogen units), black backgroun d, white backgroun d.  Camera generally mounted on my laptop.

My "confidenc e levels" (and my confidenc e :-)) usually 3 - 4, never gotten higher than 12.  Don't get more than 25k vertices.  I viewed the video (maybe need to again).  I've tried self-portraits, still life and hand.

Any pointers?

Also, if relevant: when "create 3D" iteration rings the error(?) bell on my laptop (a Dell running Win7 - with not much of a video card, if that makes a differenc e).

Thanks.
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 05:44:28 PM »

Hi;

Is your video camera active and present in the Gearotic list, what resulutio n do you have selected? If not, make sure your camera driver is installed on your computer and try again. You tube video link is here...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYdk6VU0Lk

Thanks
Bob

Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 05:09:25 AM »

Bob,

Yes.  It is recognize d by Gearotic.  I select (usually) 176 x 144 (thought that is what was recommend ed in the video).  I've varied the flash setting (without material differenc e in the "confidenc e").  It fires fine.  I get 4 images on the screen.  I usually achieve "confidenc e" rating < 10.  Once, 12.

Thanks.
DanL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 01:58:03 PM »

if you have backgroun d lighting that can make the images not come out very well with a very low confidenc e, your one is the next up from mine I get between 50 to 80 confidenc e depending on the color of the backgroun d white was low, black was in the middle, mdf was at the high end.

I have mine in a box with a screen behind the camera on arts new version it was far to good having a set up in a box, the pictures were coming out picture perfect with a depth of 3 m
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 04:04:42 PM »

BMeyers;

I'm not sure how you improve the confidenc e from 4 to 80's other than darken the room and brighten the monitor flash. We used a white backgroun d in our test with a 25in monitor, if I remember correctly we got in the 60-80 first try. Is the brightnes s turn all the way up on your monitor?

Cheers
Bob

Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 04:36:42 AM »

Bob,

You mention "monitor flash".  If that means a flash from the web-cam, I do not notice any flash from the web-cam during "fire".  That would also explain what I observed in the jpgs attached to another string under this topic (the light on the object appeared to be coming from a different direction between the shots).  I don't see mention of "flash" in my web-cam user manual; and do not know how to get it to do that even if it is capable.  If the camera is supposed to flash, that would explain why the 4 photos don't yield the informati on needed to make a good rendition .

If "monitor flash" refers to another device, please explain.

Regards,

Brian.
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 12:57:05 PM »

Brian;

The monitor is your flash, the closer you are to it the higher your confidenc e number will be. No web camera flash is necessary .

Cheers
Bob
 Smiley

Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 02:02:54 PM »

Ah.  So it is the alternati ng black/white image on the monitor, if facing the object, provides the slightly different ly angled lighting which enables the program to approxima te depth.  Hmmm. the monitor was certainly facing me when I previousl y attempted some portraits - with low confidenc e results.  I will try the process at night (otherwise the sun will make the room bright) to allow the monitor to provide the light, once I replace the web-cam I returned earlier today.

Thanks.
DanL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 04:40:16 PM »

Brian your webcam will be more than good enough it`s better than my one, you just need a dark backgroun d as in no light or just a little bit. stick a blanket over yourself and the screen, that will do the trick go old school
BobL
Gearotic Motion
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 06:14:49 PM »

BMeyers;

That's right, a dark room, capture image as close to your monitor as possible when taking the shot and if you can have a white or black backgroun d that really makes things better.

Cheers
Bob
 Smiley

Gearotic Motion
Bob
BMeyers

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 02:53:21 PM »

DanL and Bob,

Thanks for the pointers.  Might be awhile, but I will give it a go.

Regards,

Brian.
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 03:42:43 PM »

Yes, results really require a dark room and a monitor bright enough to make a differenc e. Turn your monitor brightnes s up full
for the shots if you can.. it can really help. Many never notice how dark their monitor is after a few years, I just replaced both my primary
monitors this year and they near blinded me ..my old ones were much worse than I thought. I use a widescree n, so I dont need to adjust anything, the photos work out great usually.

Art

Thanks, have fun,
Art
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: