GearHeads Corner
August 03, 2020, 04:25:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crown Gear  (Read 13392 times)
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2015, 01:36:29 PM »

So will we be expecting to see the spherical tooth button after Auggie's developme nt slows down?  Somewhere around 2018 or so?

An interesti ng option would be to include sockets, rather than actual teeth, might allow gluing actual ball bearings instead of depending on 3d printed spherical teeth.

Kirk
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2015, 09:10:21 PM »

Kirk:

>>an interesti ng option would be to include sockets, rather than actual teeth, might allow gluing actual ball bearings instead of depending o

Funny you say that, I kinda pictured a 3d printed disk with ball sockets in it to glue 1" ball bearings into when I commented
about the bearings.

>>Somewhere around 2018 or so?

Seriously, Augie WILL dominate my time for a bit, though I never stop working on bugs and other
idea's, just at a slower pace...  I never know the developme nt path of Gearotic, since
the start I've kinda gone whatever direction my interests call for. When we started there were very
few resources to make gears, now days it seems every cam program is adding Gear wizards, so I figure
Ill mix it up a bit to keep it interesti ng, luckily GM encompass es a lot of things, so adding a controlle r to
the mix, ( thought I though it crazy at first), seems to be making more and more sense and may give
me the freedom to make wizards that may be added easier than they are in GM. By the time Auggie
is running my laser it will be in a spot where its users will hopefully do most of its developme nt, or
at least thats the way Im developin g it.

Where its all heading I havent a clue, but Gearotic seems to be serving its purpose for
the moment, its users are generally happy, ( occasiona l bug aside), so Ill keep adding things, likely till
 I cant type anymore,and see where the path leads. You will still see modules added to GM, or features
 requested get done, though perhaps not at the speed they once were, at least until Auggie is running
and my laser is happy.  This will also give me a machine that will have a large enough 4th axis to
develop better 4th axis modules for gm. So feel free to keep suggestin g, Im known for taking breaks
to develop what catches my imaginati on,its worked for me so far. Smiley

Some day Ill proudly proclaim that I have finished the internet,
publish all the source code, and pick up a good book. Someday.. Maybe..

Art

Nate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2015, 10:04:09 AM »

But OTOH, rounded tooth gears would tolerate a variable angle of rotation much better than conventio nal gears. I'm not sure why you would design a mechanism that needed to, but... there you go.

CV joints do something similar, and see a lot of use in cars.  They do require free balls rather than fixed ones.

I don't understan d how 'spherical teeth' would provide an advantage if they're simply fixed teeth on a pair of gears.
JamesTSG

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2016, 10:27:30 PM »

I don't understan d how 'spherical teeth' would provide an advantage if they're simply fixed teeth on a pair of gears.

They have an undefined (but small) contact surface and engagemen t angle.  Conventio nal gearsets have a fixed angle relations hip. Deviate by even a small amount from that and bad things happen (uneven wear which induces slop, hooking, broken teeth, etc.).  You would not use them on anything but a CV type joint/pivot.
Nate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2016, 11:59:34 AM »

[spherical teeth] have an undefined (but small) contact surface and engagemen t angle.  Conventio nal gearsets have a fixed angle relations hip. Deviate by even a small amount from that and bad things happen (uneven wear which induces slop, hooking, broken teeth, etc.).  You would not use them on anything but a CV type joint/pivot.

Maybe I don't understan d what "spherical teeth" means.

I had mused on the idea of hinging involute bevel gears, and you can generate a tooth profile (as such) that uses sections of a cone of action that's centered on the axis of the hinge.  Then you can get circular contact "lines" over some range of angles though the self-overlapping nature of the double cone imposes some limits, and there's still a single point of contact at the focus.  The tooth profiles I generated with those assumptio ns don't look spherical at all, and you sacrifice the offset insensiti vity that straight involute gears enjoy.

JamesTSG

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2016, 02:24:08 PM »

Sort of like rounded over peg gears?
Nate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2016, 04:45:19 PM »

Sort of like rounded over peg gears?

Dunno.  Here's an image of the model with top land, face and flanks.  I hadn't worked out the rest of the gear shape.

* hingegear2.png (62.21 KB, 1198x714 - viewed 271 times.)
JamesTSG

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2016, 07:43:41 PM »

Uh... whut?
Nate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2016, 06:41:35 PM »

Uh... whut?

It's basically only showing the meshing part of the gear.  Maybe this will clarify it.

* hingegears.gif (1523.99 KB, 1043x686 - viewed 282 times.)
ArtF
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2016, 07:31:00 PM »

Does make it clearer.. .. couldnt quite see the mesh till then..

Art
Mooselake

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 11:54:28 AM »

so Ill keep adding things, likely till
 I cant type anymore  

Missed this the first time; there's always voice recogniti on...

Kirk
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: