GearHeads Corner
January 17, 2021, 12:24:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 
  Home Help Search Login Register  
  Show Posts
Pages: 1 [2]
16  General Category / Newest Rev Release / Re: Sample HiRes STL output file on: March 25, 2013, 04:54:46 PM
Here are my gears. 

I have a makerbot plastrude r mk5 hooked up to my cnc router.  I've replaced their motor with a geared dc motor with encoder.

I still have to tune my 3d printer.  The bottom layer still comes out wider than subsequen t layers which makes gear meshing a problem. (you can see that on the rack and pinion zoomed image)  I also have problems with the plastic flow.  When the motion slows down, the plastic seems to continue oozing leaving clumps.  When I accelerat e, it doesn't come out fast enough and leaves gaps - this was noticeabl e on the rack where it zig-zagged slowly printing the teeth, then zipped along the back.

The helical rack was created by taking a 2d rack from GM, and doing a profile extrusion along the path of the pinion edge.  This was done painfully using alibre design.  (I had to slice one tooth out of the pinion to make the object manageabl e by alibre design) I used GM to create the gear, netfabb studio basic to repair the stl, wings3d to cut out the tooth, instep to convert the stl to the step, alibre design to make rack, then exported as stl to slic3r.

This was printed using 0.3mm layers.  I think my nozzle has a 0.45mm hole (that was the largest drill bit that fit in the hole), but I got the plastrude r so long ago I can't remember and it isn't for sale anymore.

Frank

PS  What's GT?
17  General Category / 3d Printers Discussion / Re: What software are poeple using to get form gearotic to print on: March 25, 2013, 04:01:11 PM
I just tried InStep, http://www.solveering.com/instep.html, which can convert stl to step.  The plan was to use it to import into alibre design, but alibre choked on it because it was a 30MB file.  I tried a smaller file (I used wings3d to slice out 1 tooth), and that worked fine. 

Alibre can export stl, which I then use in slic3r.
18  General Category / Newest Rev Release / Re: Sample HiRes STL output file on: March 24, 2013, 07:52:51 PM
This is really good timing.  I've just got my 3d printer running and wanted some things to test print.

I created a helical knuckle gear.  Output was 7MB.  I loaded it into Slic3r.  I complaine d about "The input file contains a hole near edge...".  I get this regularly so I just ignored the message.  However, when I tried to generate the gcode, Slic3r failed with "Can't call method "retract_l ength" on an undefined value".

So, I uploaded the .stl file to cloud.net fabb.com and let it repair it.  It came back as a 1MB binary stl.  Slic3r reads it without complaini ng.  It also generated the gcode, so it's printing now.

Frank

19  General Category / Support and Bug Reports / Re: Problems with output resolution on: September 30, 2011, 09:57:34 PM
It's probably because I don't know what I'm doing.  Sad

The default setting shows sharp corners on the tooth profile, so I tried to increase it to smooth it out.  But when I do, I get those dense clusters of points that slow alibre down.  My aim it to generate an 80 tooth pulley, then use Visual Mill to generate the GCode for it, preferabl y using a 4th axis.  I probably should just try and cut one with the default settings.
20  General Category / Support and Bug Reports / Re: Problems with output resolution on: September 30, 2011, 04:49:47 PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortuna tely the latest release, 3.80, hasn't fixed the problem.  I still get the same result.  One quarter of the tooth profile has points 10 times more dense than the rest of the tooth, as shown in picture 2 above.
21  General Category / Support and Bug Reports / Enhancement requests on: September 29, 2011, 03:44:01 PM
1) GT 3mm timing pulleys
2) Cut timing pulleys using a 4th axis (and ball nose cutter)
3) Don't need to run as administr ator on Windows 7.  I need to manually change permissio ns on the files if I need to move or edit them.
 
22  General Category / Support and Bug Reports / Problems with output resolution on: September 29, 2011, 03:03:13 PM
I'm trying to generate some timing pulleys to export as DXF.

The pulley is HTD3m, 15 tooth, units mm.

If I use the default "gear point dist" setting of 0.1, I get an output that isn't precise enough, as shown in the first attachmen t.

If I set the "gear point dist" to 0.01, I get a very uneven result, which cripples alibre design, as shown in the second attachmen t.

[Edit: Note the first image is the comped version, but the non-comped is the same]
Pages: 1 [2]
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.11 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!